May 1, 2008

Stressful, But Rewarding

There's nothing more rewarding as a teacher than watching a student finally get something he or she has been struggling with. In my career as an English teacher, I sometimes have successes like that. Although my job can be very rewarding, I also encounter some problems with my chosen profession, such as unmotivated students, having to give and grade tests, and lots of stress.

There are many times when my job is overwhelming. Especially in my first year at Clinton High, I have extra work learning what it is I'm supposed to cover in the curriculum and then creating materials to support that. Since I spend a lot of time planning, it is difficult to keep up on grading. Being required to give tests and grades is something that I don't always love about my job. Sometimes I feel like I am overwhelmed and getting stretched too thin, but it is definitely worth it.

Despite a few minor downfalls, my job as an English teacher is totally worth it because I am doing what I love and feel I excel at. Watching my students learn and succeed is very rewarding and motivating to keep plugging away at what I do. My belief is that there's nothing more important to be learned in school than the foundations of language arts. It's what I have lived and breathed my entire life, and now I can pass that on to my students. A few other benefits of being a teacher include summers off to read and continue learning (and relaxing), excellent insurance and benefits, and respect from peers.

Even though there are a few downfalls of being an English teacher, like all the paperwork and stress to meet curriculum guidelines, it is a very rewarding job. I've found that there's no better job for me. I wouldn't change what I do for the world - it's who I am.

No comments: